Saturday 10 April 2021

An unidentified bird

Several days ago, as we were walking near the Worcestershire Beacon on the Malvern Hills, my bird watcher's eye noticed a small, all white bird, about thirty yards away. It was flying low and disappeared behind a slight ridge. I was puzzled because there are no small, white British birds other than the snow bunting, with which I am familiar, and that isn't all white. I assumed it must be an albino and changed route to try and see it again. Through the camera lens I could see it was completely white with a pinkish bill and a dark eye - not, therefore an albino proper. It was the size and general shape of a bird such as the greenfinch but its tail was longer and the outer feathers flared outwards. It also let us get closer than most wild birds of that size would allow. Perhaps it was an aviary escapee. Exhausive internet trawling turns up nothing similar. On balance I think it is an escapee but I can't pin a name to it.

photo © T. Boughen     Camera: Lumix FZ1000 2