Wednesday 4 August 2021

The changing cloisters of Gloucester Cathedral


"Changing" might seem an odd word to describe the Gothic cloisters of Gloucester Cathedral, structures that were built between 1351 and 1390, and have remained much the same since those years. But, every time we visit the cathedral I look through the door that opens on to the cloisters to see how they look. What I am interested in is how they are being illuminated. Different seasons, different times of day, and the addition of artificial light to the natural light all make for different appearances. In 2013 it was the complementary colours of the two sources of light that attracted me. In 2018 it was the contrasting pools of light and deep shadows (plus the silhouetted figure of my wife). On a recent morning the lights had not gone off and daylight was flooding in making for warm colouring. I asked my wife to, once again, provide the scale and foreground interest.

photo © T. Boughen     Camera: Nikon D5300