Saturday 20 June 2020

Front doors, Fleetwood

In 2006, when this photograph was taken, I worked in Fleetwood, Lancashire. It was a visually interesting place with the sea, the port, the town, the marina, the River Wyre, and distant Barrow in Furness and Lakeland across the bay. Unsurprisingly I was frequently to be seen there with my camera. However, this particular photograph could have been taken anywhere in England. It shows part of the front elevation of a couple of houses composed of ready-made building components - bay windows, door surrounds, gate posts etc - that date from the late C19 or, more likely, early C20. It wasn't these that caught my eye though. Rather it was the beautifully painted red and green doors, probably contemporary with the rest of the structure, and the word "Ribblesdale" (the area of my upbringing) imprinted on the leftmost gate pier.

photo © T. Boughen     Camera: Olympus E-300     2006