Sunday 19 April 2020

BHS, Hull

When, in 1971, I moved from the Yorkshire Dales market town of Settle to the East Yorkshire city and port of Kingston upon Hull, it was something of a culture shock. The countryside, hills, mountains, valleys and villages of the Dales were replaced by the imposing city buildings and flat, urban sprawl of the city. I was often asked if I regretted the move and my answer was always the same - "No"- because the visual interest and history of the city was something that I appreciated and which provided a seemingly endless supply of subjects for my camera. One of the most noticeable buildings was the BHS store in the main shopping area. This former Co-operative store has a huge, fine and imposing, concave mural of 1963 by Alan Boyson that references the city's fishing fleet.

photo © T. Boughen     Camera: Olympus OMD E-M10     2015