Friday 12 July 2024

Oystercatcher


One of the most noticeable and easily identified wading birds is the oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus) - it is black and white with an orange beak and orange legs. Its sharp call is very distinctive as is its habit of feeding on mudflats in flocks that can number in the tens of thousands. When I was a young birdwatcher I marvelled at the enormous gatherings on Morecambe Bay and I also monitored the bird's habitat spread from the seashore to include river valleys: in my case, the valley of the River Ribble. On a recent visit to Weymouth we came upon a few birds feeding on a freshwater RSPB reserve only a stone's throw from the seashore. The soggy nature of the marshland made this the dirtiest oystercatcher I've seen.

photo © T. Boughen     Camera: Nikon P900