Sunday 15 October 2023

The Triumph wordmark


The first time I became aware of the design of the name of the British Triumph motorcycle company was when I glimpsed it on Bob Dylan's T-shirt on the cover of his 1965 album "Highway 61 Revisited". Thereafter my eye was drawn to it whenever I saw this make of motorcycle parked  in the market town where I lived. What I particularly liked was the way the letter "R" was extended so that it met up with the horizontal bar of the "H" and in so doing formed a curved underline. It forms a distinctive wordmark* that, very wisely, the company retained and still uses today. We came across this new Triumph motorcycle in a Hereford car park. Two things prompted my photograph - the strong colours and the water droplets from a light shower that had just passed over.

* A wordmark is a type of logo that uses only text to distinctively represent a particular organisation. It is usually copyrighted to protect its use.

photo © T. Boughen     Camera: Sony DSC-RX100