Thursday 27 April 2023

Tulip "Lilac Wonder"


Coincidences are interesting. As my wife and I walked through Hereford we were discussing colour combinations. I remarked that I particularly disliked the combination of lilac with yellow. A short while later, in the ruined cloister at the cathedral, I photographed these lilac and yellow flowers in its garden. I took my shots because the flowers were in full bloom and I didn't know their variety. When I closely inspected the leaves I discovered they were tulips, possibly the most cultivated flower, and one that has been made to produce blooms quite unlike those found in its original form. When I got home I looked up this variety's name and found it was "Lilac Wonder". It's well named. I too wonder why the breeder produced the plant!

photo © T. Boughen     Camera: Nikon Z 5