Sunday 26 February 2023

Thinking about crocuses

click image to enlarge

I don't often think about crocuses. I see them when the flower buds begin opening in February. I notice when the house sparrows have been pulling them apart. And, as large and small drifts of the flowers appear in lawns and borders, I observe their often untidy appearance as those past their best stand alongside the more recent.  But, as I was taking these two photographs it occured to me that crocuses are one of those flowers that look best from nearby, are somewhat disappointing from a distance, and often look best in direct sunlight. Moreover, I definitely prefer the purple-petalled variety with their yellow/orange stamens than those with yellow or white petals.

click image to enlarge

The first of these photographs is of more natural looking crocuses growing up through the ivy and early greenery of a churchyard. It's the one I prefer. The second photograph shows quite striking flowers clustered in a characteristic garden display.

photos © T. Boughen     Camera: Nikon Z 5