Tuesday 7 September 2021

Brass band musician


As I've got older I've come to like brass band music more than I did in my younger years. I soon go off it when they play what I call "oompah" music, but a good piece of music played well, such as Percy Grainger's "Lincolnshire Posy", offers a treat for the ears. We listened to a brass band playing on the bandstand at Ross on Wye recently. Their programme included "oompah" music, but also a fine arrangement and rendition of Gershwin's "Summertime". As they played I was prompted to try for a photograph of one or more musicians. But the relatively high number of players squeezed into a relatively small space presented relatively few options and the best I got was this band member on the euphonium (or is it a tuba?)

photo © T. Boughen     Camera: Lumix FZ1000 2