Wednesday 26 May 2021

Churchyard compositions



Unusually, the medieval church at Weston under Penyard was closed and so, after a cup of coffee on a bench in the sun, I cast about for some churchyard compositions. The first I came up with reminded me of a shot I took many years ago in which I, broadly speaking, found a composition that clearly emphasised separate areas. In the example above the areas intersect more via the bold diagonals. So, top left is the tower, top right is the Scots pine, bottom left is the shaded chancel wall, and bottom right is the aisle tracery.

The second composition has a void at the centre of the composition and gives no particular emphasis to anything -  a cardinal sin in photography!. But, what it does do is give a feeling of what the churchyard is like and points out the attractive light that is falling on the scene. The shot was taken a couple of yards from the point where I took the first photograph.

photo © T. Boughen     Camera: Lumix FZ1000 2