Friday 24 January 2020

Stained glass and May Hill

Some of Gloucester Cathedral's more recent stained glass is by the artist Tom Denny. In 2013 he made windows for the south ambulatory chapel in a semi-abstract style that I find difficult to like. More appealing, to me, is that commissioned in 2016 celebrating the life of Ivor Gurney, the famous Gloucester-born poet and composer. This is more representational, and though I wish there were more lead cames dividing up the panels, I do like the drawing, compositions and colour schemes of these works.

I also like the appearance of May Hill in the background of a couple of panels. This relatively low summit can be seen from many parts of western Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and eastern Wales. What makes it noticeable is the cluster of trees on the summit (itself an Iron Age hill fort) that were replenished in 1887 in celebration of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee and in 1977 for Queen Elizabeth's Silver Jubilee.  I can see the summit and trees from my living room window 5.5 miles away. One recent morning I took this photograph at sunrise with what I call my bird-watching camera at maximum zoom (2000mm - 35mm equiv.) equivalent to a 40X telescope.

photo © T. Boughen     Camera: Lumix FZ1000 2 (top photograph)